There is no better time to grow your Software as a Service (SaaS) business than now.
This makes SEO (search engine optimization) strategies for SaaS companies one of the best marketing trends.
Adopting the right SEO strategies for your SaaS business can make you more visible to search engines like Yahoo, Bing, and Google. As a result, it becomes easier for your target audience to find you online.
This article will list 8 top SEO strategies that you can use in 2022 to maximize the growth of your SaaS business.
Choosing an SEO strategy for your SaaS business is not an easy task. Your approach to choosing an effective strategy for your business needs to be thoughtful and multi-faceted.
The first step is to collect data as much as possible. Here are a few factors that will guide you:
- What are your goals with the business?
- What are your key objectives?
- Who is your target audience?
- Who are your competitors?
- Does your SaaS product address a specific need, or is industry-focused?
Now, let’s have a look at some of the best SEO strategies that you can implement to grow your SaaS business.
1. Set achievable and quantifiable goal
The first step to a marketing strategy is to set clear and SMART goals.
SMART stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound. Setting clear goals will point you in the right direction. Eventually, it will send you on the right growth trajectory.
Keep in mind the importance of specificity while setting your goals. If your goal is to increase sales, you need to specify by how much and by when. For example, a common SEO goal for a SaaS company could be—to increase monthly recurring revenue by $500K in 6 months.
Setting clear goals will help you figure out what needs to be done to achieve your goals.
Additionally, you need to use appropriate metrics or key performance areas (KPIs). These metrics or KPIs will help you measure the progress of your SEO campaign.
2. Define your customer persona
The next step is to build your buyer or customer persona. This strategy is all about visualizing who your marketing should aim to reach.
For a SaaS business, it is crucial to know who you are targeting so that you can solve their problem and offer your platform as a solution. Your solution will be relevant to your target audience only when you have a clear understanding of what your ideal buyer is like.
The following are ways to create your customer persona:
● Start from the ground up and slowly build a profile of your ideal buyer. For this, you need to do a lot of market research.
● Use already available data from your existing customers.
Whichever method you implement, the bottom line is you will require a huge amount of data to accurately form your buyer or customer persona.
3. Identify the pain points of your customer personas
To solve the problems of your customer personas, you need to reach them first.
At this point, you need to start building a set of keywords (called the top-of-the-funnel keywords) that will be used for your SEO strategy. Though these keywords don’t impact your conversion rate, they will give your platform the required exposure and spread brand awareness.
As more and more people find out about your company, you will have more potential customers as you move forward. A good way to define these keywords is to figure out the pain points of your potential buyers.
Identifying the problems they are trying to solve, figuring out their queries, or related topics that share an audience are some of the steps to begin with.
With answers to such questions, you can now start building your top-of-the-funnel keywords.
4. Optimize your landing page
Once you have defined your top-of-the-funnel keywords, you need to focus on building another set of keywords for your landing pages.
A landing page is a commercial page, product page, or feature page. It is a part of the sales funnel that provides more detailed information about your products and services.
Landing page keywords may look something like small business CRM, Real Estate CRM, Free CRM, Customer service software, etc. Once you start ranking for such queries, you will be driving traffic close to converting.
You also need to make sure that you have covered all bases and haven’t left out any keywords that your audience is searching for.
At this point, your audience is actively looking for a solution. Your objective here is to steer your audience closer to conversion. You can achieve this fairly easily if you have used the right keywords.
If you do not have the time to do this yourself, you can take help from a SaaS SEO agency that can make sure that the optimum strategy has been implemented for your website, including your landing page.
Let SEO experts take care of setting up the tools, monitoring and assessing the SEO website, reporting, and analysis while you focus on developing and growing your business rather than worrying about maintaining it.
5. Stand apart from your competitors
You are now at the bottom of the sales funnel. This means that a potential customer can make the purchasing decision any time now.
At this point, customers are probably comparing you with other companies offering similar solutions to their problems. If you want to stay ahead of them, you need to find out what your direct and indirect competitors are doing.
By knowing the competition, you will have valuable insight into strategies that work and that don’t. Have a look at their top pages. Identify their high-performing keywords. Use this information to fortify your own SaaS SEO strategy.
You can also use competitor traffic data to determine the most effective strategies for your SaaS SEO.
Your focus should be more on showcasing your unique selling point. You also need to have a good answer to why the buyer should choose you over your competitors.
Focus on the reasons why your platform is superior and compare yourself with your main competitors. A comparison page is a good way to showcase you are better than other service providers in the segment.
The keywords at this stage are called low-funnel keywords and usually have low search volume. However, their impact on conversion is high.
Make sure that your pages are better at answering these queries.
6. Create amazing content
Once you have defined all the keywords, your next step is to create your content.
Your blogs and product pages play an important role in making or breaking your SaaS business.
Creating outstanding content only is not just enough; your content should also outrank your competitors in search result pages. Learn why you should invest in SEO content writing services.
7. Take care of on-page and technical SEO
While the above strategies are customer-oriented approaches, there are a few more methods to boost the visibility of your website in portals like Google and Bing.
You can do this using on-page and technical SEO.
On-page SEO is the practice of optimizing the elements of web pages. This may include your headlines, content, images, and HTML tags (title, meta, header, keywords). On-page SEO involves:
- Conducting an SEO audit to keep your SEO strategy up to date
- Updating URLs, titles, and metadata
- Ensuring the keyword is in your URL
- Inserting keywords throughout your page
- Avoiding keyword spamming
On the other hand, technical SEO refers to website and server optimization that helps search engine spiders crawl and index your site more efficiently. It also makes your web pages responsive and loads faster, offering a better user experience. Technical SEO involves:
- Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) to encrypt the link between your server and a browser
- Ensuring the site is compatible with cross-platform
- Reducing page loading time by using a faster domain name system (DNS), compressing your pages, optimizing image and video size, etc
- Removing duplicate content to improve your search ranking
- Using extensible markup language (XML) sitemap to help search engines understand your website whilst crawling it.8. Use link-building techniques
The next step is to promote your content on other channels to earn high-quality backlinks.
As you earn backlinks, search engines will infer that your website possesses valuable content worth ranking well on search engine results pages (SERPs).
There are various link-building tactics that you can implement, such as:
- Unlinked brand mentions: Reach out to authors who have mentioned your brand without including a link and ask them to link unlinked brand mentions.
- Guest posts: Build relationships with high authority websites to post your content on their blogs.
- Podcasts: When you speak on podcasts, the host will publish it on their website and include backlinks to websites that you mentioned, which, coincidentally, will be yours.
- Product embeds (widget link-building): Make your products embeddable on the other website. Include a “Powered by” link that will take visitors to a relevant page on your website.
- Broken links: Look for websites in your niche (or not) with broken links or links to blog posts that have been removed from the website. You can then propose that they link your content instead.
All businesses today need a formidable online presence, and SaaS businesses need a solid SEO strategy. On top of that, you’ll need to constantly track and monitor the progress and effectiveness of your strategy.
If you look at the above SEO techniques, it is clear that SEO marketing is multi-faceted. It would almost be outrageous not to be investing in a robust SEO strategy for your SaaS business.
The sooner you integrate SEO into your marketing strategy, the faster you will see results like higher traffic, better quality leads, improved conversion rates, and better sales.